Puhoi Valley Gingerbread Cookie Cups
2 ¼ cups
Dark cocoa powder
Bicarbonate of soda
Soft brown sugar
Dark and/or white chocolate
Puhoi Valley Spiced White Chocolate or Colombian Espresso Milk
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, spices, bicarbonate of soda and the salt.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and then the molasses.
- Mix in the sifted dry ingredients to form a cookie dough. Tip dough out on to a lightly-floured bench top and pat into a flat disc. If your cookie dough is a little sticky use more flour. Wrap and place in the fridge to firm up, if necessary.
- Alternatively, cut the cookie dough in half and working with 1 half at a time, roll out thinly.
- To line moulds: we used ½ cup capacity dariole moulds. Using a small round plain cutter (the same size as the base of the mould), cut out a small round and place in the base of each mould.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a piece of cooking dough that will fit around the inside of the mould (this is easier to do than it sounds). Place in the mould and use a spoon (a metal measuring spoon is good here – 1 tablespoon measuring spoon), to smooth the cookie dough. Repeat with as many moulds as you have.
- You can chill these at this point or again if the dough is still firm, place in the oven straightaway and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven halfway through cooking and using the same measuring spoon, push the dough to the sides.
- Return to the oven and continue baking until the cookie dough has coloured a little more and there are no wet looking patches in the dough.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 1-2 minutes before carefully turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To finish, brush the insides of the cookie cups with melted chocolate and leave to dry before pouring in your favourite Puhoi milk. Drink, eat and enjoy.