Chicken Stuffed with Puhoi Valley Goat's Cheese and Pesto
Puhoi Valley Chevre Style Goat's Cheese
skinless, boneless chicken breats
rashers streaky bacon
basil pesto/sundried tomato pesto or olive tapenade
salt & freshly ground black pepper
finely grated zest
dry white wine
- Prepare the chicken for stuffing: Remove the tenderloins (if connected) or cut a small piece of chicken from the underside of the breast and reserve. Make an incision in each chicken breast, cutting a deep pocket horizontally in the thick side about 2/3 of the way to the other edge – be careful not to cut all the way through. Repeat with the reaming chicken breasts.
- In a food processor, pulse-chop the reserved chicken. When roughly chopped, add the goat’s cheese, the pesto, salt and pepper and the lemon zest. Process till smooth.
- Put ¼ of the stuffing mix into each chicken pocket.
- Wrap each chicken breast with 2 slices of streaky bacon (chicken can be prepared ahead to this point and refrigerated until required).
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat an ovenproof frying pan with a little vegetable oil, and when hot cook the bacon-wrapped chicken till lightly browned on all sides.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and cook a further 12-15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Transfer the chicken to a warmed plate to rest.
- To make a glaze, put pan back onto a medium heat and add the white wine and cook till 2/3 of the wine has disappeared. Take off the heat, add the butter and gently shake pan until all the butter has been melted. This will create a smooth sauce to be spooned over each chicken breast.